Mindset Manifesto: Seven Predictions For Success in Work and Life in 2020
When I help leaders, teams, and organizations plan for their future, the topic of mindsets comes up…a lot.
Since I began working with mindsets in 2008 at the University of Michigan, I’ve observed leaders saying things like, “We need a more open mindset.” “We need an innovation mindset.” “We need to change the mindset in our culture.” And, “We need a growth mindset.” Lately, however, the word mindset is being used a lot more. It’s time to put together your Mindset Manifesto for a successful 2020.
What are Mindsets?
First, let’s be clear about what mindsets are. Mindsets are the mental lenses that shape what we see, what we do, how we feel, and how we learn (for more information, my colleague Dr. Ryan Gottfredson has a great book coming out on mindsets in 2020).
Here’s what a mindsets look like in action. Let’s say that you are a part of a sales team. A person on your team, Sam, says, “Hey, let’s take a risk and do something really different in next week’s sales pitch. I’ve heard the client is fun and likes creative teams.”
In this example, Sam’s mindsets are shaping her thoughts (different might be good. We might win. We will learn something new), her feelings (excitement), and her action (“I’ll jump in and help make this pitch a success!”).
Another person on your team, Angel, has a different set of mindsets, and he thinks (different is not usually better. We might fail. Let’s go with what we know works), he feels (afraid), and says, “Sam, I appreciate your creative spirit, but I suggest we go with what has worked in the past. I think we should use the standard sales pitch slide deck.”
Everyone on the team, including you, shares Angel’s mindsets. So the team does what has always worked in the past. They put together the same old slide presentation, and on the day of the sales pitch, your team gets “out innovated” by a more creative competitor and loses the sale. Lesson learned: Should have listened Sam.
Does this scenario sound familiar? Have you ever been on a team like this? I have. In fact, I’m usually Sam! What I’ve learned by helping people change their mindsets is that humans tend to shut down the “Sam” on their team. Here’s why: Sam represents different. Sam represents change. And Sam represents uncertainty. It isn’t until we fully and completely want different results — with every ounce of our being — that we commit to change.
Learning the skills to embrace the Sam on our team, and to change our mindsets, are two critical ingredients for building a future-ready organization. As I illustrate in my new book, Future-Ready Leadership: Strategies for the Fourth Industrial Revolution, organizations require a new Mindset, Skillset, and Toolset for success.
So, here’s my prediction for 2020 and beyond……….
Mindsets and Mindset Change will Gain Momentum in Human Development, Training, Coaching, and Consulting in 2020 and beyond.
ENROLL IN MY FREE MINDSET MANIFESTO COURSE BELOW
Seven Mindset Predictions for 2020 and Beyond
I am forecasting that “mindsets” will be a significant theme in the next wave of human development, beginning in 2020. Here’s what we might see more of in 2020:
1. More mindset research and the impact they have on performance. Lots of cool neuroscience emerging on mindsets!
2. More mindset coaching and training about what mindsets are and how to change them. Spoiler alert: There’s more to mindsets than just Carol Dweck’s Growth Mindset.
3. More manager capability around mindsets…because mindset coaching is just something great managers will be able to do in the future!
4. More organizations building out entire mindset ecosystems (integrated mindset, toolset, skillset systems).
5. Entrepreneurs who focus on mindsets because they shape determination, resilience, and success.
6. Personal learning clouds devoted to mindsets (start building yours at chrisgroscurth.com).
7. Team mindset manifestos or intentional strategies for driving team performance using mindset science.
To learn more about mindset science, practice, and developing your mindset manifesto for 2020 check out these resources:
- Watch Amy Purdy’s amazingly inspirational TED Talk.
- Enroll in my open access Mindset Manifesto Course at ChrisGroscurth.com. In this course, you’ll get exclusive access to Future Focus® , the world’s first Futurist Mindset Assessment.
- Buy the toolkit in, Future-Ready Leadership: Strategies for the Fourth Industrial Revolution. There are more than 25 tools in this book that you can use to help prepare your clients for the future of work in 2020 and beyond.
- Check out my friend Suzy Siegle’s online mindset series. She has some awesome experts who she’s interviewed at https://successandthesubconsciousmind.locusmindset.com/
- Pre-order my friend Ryan Gottfredson’s book, Success Mindsets: Your Keys to Unlocking Greater Success in Your Life, Work, and Leadership.
- Take Ryan’s awesome mindset assessment at RyanGottfredson.com
I hope these resources help you develop your personal Mindset Manifesto!
What are your predictions for leadership trends in 2020? Leave a comment below.
LIKE THIS ARTICLE? SHARE IT WITH YOUR NETWORK!